Student mentoring offers an elite group of 15 students from UTK and Pellissippi State Community College the opportunity to participate in a mentoring program through WICT Southeast from September through April. Students will be selected through a detailed application process and matched with mentors who are working professionals in the cable and/or telecommunications industry locally.
As a mentee, your responsibility will be to meet with your mentor at least twice a semester to discuss specific issues or areas where you would like development or preparation for entering the professional world. You will also be required to attend four professional development events. Mentoring relationships take time and effort, so your commitment to this program is essential to its success.
*This program is open to both female and male students.
- Enhance their leadership skills and gain confidence in their professional effectiveness.
- Increase their ability to develop skills related to career aspirations such a resume preparation and interviewing practice.
- Network with women experienced in the cable and/or telecommunications industry in Knoxville.
- Kick-Off – to meet your mentor and learn more about future internship opportunities.
- Shadowing for Success – to work alongside your mentor or another professional to see what their daily routine is really like.
- Resume and Interview Boot Camp – to receive expert advice on your resume and participate in mock interviews so that you are ready to apply for internships and jobs.
- Professional Round Robin – to learn about the multitude of career paths in our industry and the opportunity to speak openly with a panel of successful individuals in the industry.
Mentors have the opportunity to inspire the next generation of TV professionals and connect with potential future employees at a critical moment in their education.
Not able to commit to a mentor/mentee relationship? Volunteers/speakers are also needed for our programs! Please let us know if you can help.